Try a spicy egg salad recipe for a flavorful twist on a traditional boring, bland egg salad. Most egg salads are a snooze fest, but sauteing up a little onion, pepper, and spices will put a little zing in your thing, and added nuts will give your egg salad a sorely needed crunch.
Spicy Egg Salad Recipe Ingredients
8 BOILED EGGS
3-5 cloves GARLIC finely chopped
chopped HOT PEPPER as desired (I generally use a whole jalapeno pepper with the ribs and seeds removed)
2 tsp GINGER minced
½ to 1 cup CASHEWS (or if nuts ain’t your thang, sub some chopped celery)
1 small RED ONION chopped
¼ cup MAYONNAISE
½ cup chopped CILANTRO
½ cup chopped PARSLEY
10-12 CHERRY TOMATOES cut into quarters
LEMON zest and juice
1 tsp CHILI POWDER
1 Tbsp PAPRIKA
1 tsp TURMERIC
SALT and PEPPER to taste
OIL for sauteing
How to Make This Egg Salad Recipe
The key to any egg salad are the eggs; you don’t want overdone boiled eggs that are dried out with that tell-tell greenish tint. But no fear! Fool proof boiled eggs are super easy to prepare.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT HARD BOILED EGGS:
- In a pot, cover the eggs with cold water.
- Cover and bring the pot to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove the pot from the heat and allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, transfer the eggs to an ice water bath.
- Peel eggs when cooled.
- In a skillet, heat a little oil on medium high heat.
- Add in the garlic and hot peppers and cook for 1 minute then
- add in the onion and ginger and continue cooking until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in the spices and then the cashews. Substitute peanuts if you prefer, or if you’re not into nuts, add chopped celery; a little crunchiness makes for a more interesting egg salad dish.
- Saute ingredients for 2-3 more minutes, then set skillet aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the peeled eggs and mayonnaise and mash into a lumpy mixture.
- Add in the cooled ingredients from the skillet, and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and zest, and stir in some fresh herbs, like parsley, cilantro, or dill.
- And finally, stir in some quartered cherry tomatoes; cherry tomatoes are best because the tomato skin will help keep them from falling apart.
And that’s it!–serve warm or cold, all by itself or as a salad or bread topping or a hearty egg salad sandwich.
Give this spicy egg salad recipe a try and let me know what you think, and bon appétit!
And for another tasty salad idea, try this Southwestern Quinoa Salad Recipe.
Thanks for checking the egg salad recipe out. If you liked the dish, then click a button or two below and share it with friends…I appreciate it!