I love a great burger, especially if it’s a healthy veggie burger recipe that also just happens to taste terrific. A thick slice of blackened eggplant makes a perfect sandwich filling, and if you dress
sliced eggplant up like a hamburger, eggplant makes one of the easiest, quickest, and tastiest veggie burger recipes you’ll ever eat. Portabello mushrooms make a nice veggie burger substitute, but can sometimes be a bit soggy. I’m a big fan of black bean burgers, but a bean burger can be a bit of work to make and hold together into a burger patty shape that satisfies. A blackened eggplant sandwich is super easy to prepare and definitely satisfies.
What You Need to Make a Great Veggie Burger Recipe
1 globe EGGPLANT also called an aubergine eggplant
some OIL to lightly coat the eggplant and skillet
a variety of spices like
CHILI POWDER, CHIPOTLE,
PAPRIKA, GARLIC POWDER,
GINGER POWDER, etc., but experiment and try your favorite spices
Burger Fixings such as
How to Make a Blackened Eggplant Veggie Burger
Use an aubergine eggplant, also known as a globe eggplant. The skin has a dark purplish color and is edible, in fact the skin and meat of the eggplant can be eaten raw,
but for faux burger patties, I like to remove the skin.
- Remove the skin.
- Cut eggplant into thick slices, ¾” to 1″ thick.
- Coat the eggplant lightly in oil.
- Generously season both sides of the eggplant with your favorite spices, including salt.
- Heat a lightly oiled skillet on medium-medium high heat.
- Cook the eggplant for 2 minutes on each side.
- If you like cheese on your faux burger, add a slice over the eggplant during it’s last miunte in the skillet.
- Remove the eggplant from the skillet and build your burger while it’s hot.
And that’s it.
Super tasty, meat-free, and probably the easiest veggie burger recipe you’ll ever make.
What to Look for When Choosing an Eggplant
- Buy an eggplant that seems heavy for its size.
- A larger eggplant will sometimes have a slight bitterness, so choose a smaller eggplant.
- Look for a bright green stem top and a smooth shiny skin.
- The flesh of the eggplant should be firm, and bounce back when lightly pressed.
Give this super easy an very tasty blackened eggplant veggie burger recipe a try and let me know what you think, and bon appétit!
And for another great veggie dish, try this fantastic faux pasta made with Zucchini Zoodles.
Thanks for checking out the veggie burger recipe and video, if you liked it, then click a button or two below and share it with your friends.
I really appreciate it, thanks!