Here’s a Tofu recipe that makes a nice break from a typical breakfast egg scramble and it’s super easy to make. This dish is a great introduction to tofu if you’ve never cooked with the ingredient before. I use firm tofu in this dish and lots of fresh greens. In this tofu scramble I’m using the leaves and stems of fresh kale, but we often use fresh spinach too, which will cook up quicker if you’re in a rush. If you’re not used to using tofu in cooking, this tofu recipe is a good place to start. Tofu is a soy product and a meatless protein. It has almost no flavor, so tofu is very versatile. Tofu will take on whatever flavors you add, and it needs lots of flavor, so be generous. Bland tofu is terrible, but a well-seasoned tofu dish can be delicious. Give this version of a tofu scramble a try, or make your own with whatever fresh veggies you have on hand.
Ingredients for Tofu Recipe
6-8 oz Firm TOFU
2 cups chopped KALE
or substitute SPINACH
chopped GREEN ONIONS
chopped BELL PEPPER
finely chopped GARLIC
sliced CHERRY TOMATOES
and whatever seasonings
you like, like:
PAPRIKA, CURRY, dried HERBS,
CHILI POWDER, SALT, and PEPPER
OIL for cooking
….optional: SEEDS!…I use seeds in this video cause I had too much oil in my skillet and I wanted to take advantage of it. I added caraway seeds, but cumin or fennel seeds
would have added great flavor, too.
How to Make a Tofu Breakfast Scramble
- Even firm tofu isn’t all that firm, so buy firm tofu.
- Chop tofu into cubes or slices, but not too small.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat and add tofu. Season tofu well and saute about 5-10 minutes, turning as it cooks,until the tofu is browned on most sides.
- In another skillet, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add in chopped kale stems and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add onions, peppers, and garlic and continue sauteeing another 2-3 minutes.
- Add seasoning and spices and mix ingredients well.
- Add in the remaining ingredients–kale leaves, tomato, green onion tops–and continue cooking another 3-5 minutes.
- Add in browned tofu. Mix well, and serve.
And that’s it. Experiment and use whatever ingredients you desire and have on hand. A breakfast scramble can be whatever you want, and tofu is a great way to add
protein to a meatless dish. And this tofu breakfast scramble makes a nice lunch and dinner, too!
And for another healthy breakfast dish, check out this Eggs Benedict on Salmon Recipe
Thanks for checking the video and tofu recipe out. If you liked it, click a button or two below and share it with your friends, I appreciate it!