This spicy shrimp pancake makes a nice change from your average pancake or shrimp recipe. It’s a savory pancake dish that can be prepared quick and easy and served for any meal, even
breakfast, if you don’t mind looking at a shrimp first thing in the morning. I like big chunky pancakes full of shrimp and vegetables, especially lots of green onion, but you can easily make
smaller versions of this seafood pancake. Shrimp is a great ingredient in a pancake because it can cook through so quickly, but most any chopped seafood will work. I often make a similar
seafood pancake, a Korean style dish called Haemul Pajeon using bags of less expensive mixed seafood from the grocery freezer department.
Ingredients for Shrimp Pancake Recipe
8-10 Lg SHRIMP
5-7 GREEN ONIONS
¼ RED BELL PEPPER
HOT PEPPER slices (optional)
1 cup FLOUR
1 cup WATER
1 tsp CHILI POWDER
1 tsp PAPRIKA
1 tsp GARLIC POWDER
SALT and PEPPER (to taste)
2-3 Tbsp OIL for cooking
1 Tbsp melted BUTTER optional
¼ cup RICE VINEGAR
¼ cup SOY SAUCE
CHILI-GARLIC SAUCE (to taste, optional)
How to Make a Spicy Shrimp Pancake
- Combine flour and water and mix well, the batter should be thin.
- Add in melted butter (this is optional…sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t).
- Add in spices and stir.
- Chop slender green onions into approx. 1 inch pieces and add into batter (thicker onions should be sliced lengthwise first).
- Add in chopped shrimp.
- Add thinly sliced red bell pepper and hot peppers to batter and combine all until ingredients are well coated.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet on medium high.
- Adjust temperature as needed through out cooking, but make sure the oil is hot before adding the batter.
- Add batter to hot skillet and shape into a pancake shape. Make 1 big pancake, or make pancakes; this recipe easily serves 2 people.
- Pour a beaten egg over the pancake top.
- Cook until the cake is golden brown on bottom, about 4-6 minutes.
- Turn the cake (or flip it–but with confidence!) and cook the eggy side for about 2 more minutes.
And that’s it!
Top with sour cream, soy sauce, or with a mixed dipping sauce.
Combine equal parts rice vinegar and soy sauce and mix well. Adding a little chili-garlic sauce is a nice touch, and and will provide a nice bite. For a sweeter sauce, add a little hoisin or plum
sauce, or just 1-2 tsp sugar.
Give this spicy shrimp pancake recipe a try and let me know what you think, and bon appétit.
And for more Shrimp and Seafood recipe ideas, check out the Chef Buck Seafood Recipe Playlist
Thanks for checking out the shrimp pancake recipe. If you liked it, then click a button or two below and share it with your friends.
I appreciate it!