Chicken tikka masala is one of the most popular Indian inspired dishes in the world, because it’s fantastic, but you can easily make a tasty and meatless version of a tikka masala using this canned jackfruit recipe. Young green jackfruit is versatile and very easy to use. Green jackfruit’s mild flavor and rich texture make young green jackfruit an excellent faux meat. It’s popular in mock BBQ pork dishes, and also a favorite of my own in a meatless breakfast hash. When seasoned and baked in the oven, jackfruit handily mimics the texture of baked chicken, and it makes an ideal substitute in this tikka masala recipe. I’m using as few ingredients as I can in order to make this jackfruit recipe super easy.
Ingredients for a Meatless Tikka Masala Jackfruit Recipe
1 20oz can JACKFRUIT (use only young green jackfruit! …don’t buy sweet ripe jackfruit in syrup!)
15oz can TOMATO SAUCE
15oz can CRUSHED TOMATO
½ cup PLAIN GREEK YOGURT
1 medium chopped ONION
6-8 cloves finely chopped GARLIC
1 tsp CUMIN SEEDS
2-3 Tbsp pre-mixed CURRY (or make your own!)
SALT to taste
½ tsp CHILI POWDER
1 tsp GARLIC POWDER
OIL for sauteing
CILANTRO or green onion
How to Make a Meatless Chicken Tikka Masala with Jackfruit
- For this jackfruit recipe, rinse and drain the jackfruit and cut into smaller, bite-sizes.
- In a bowl, toss the jackfruit with chili and garlic powder.
- Spread the seasoned jackfruit out on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit
for about 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat oil on medium high heat.
- When the oil is heated, add the cumin seeds, stir and allow to simmer for just a few moments.
- Once the seeds begin to crack, add the finely chopped garlic.
- Saute for a few moments and add in the onion.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir for approx. 2-3 minutes and add the curry powder. Use a premixed curry, or your own mixture. Mix well and continue to saute for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add in the canned tomatoes. Mix well, raise the temperature and allow the ingredients to come to a bubble.
Reduce the pot to a simmer, cover, and allow cooking for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the heat off.
- Blend the ingedients in the pot smooth with a hand blender; this step isn’t crucial, but it will help give the dish the creaminess of a restaurant style chicken tikka masala.
- Stir in yogurt and mix well.
- Add in the baked jackfruit and mix well.
- Serve with rice or on its own.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves or chopped green onion tops.
Give this easy meatless “chicken” tikka masala recipe a try and let me know what you think. If you’re a fan of chicken tikka masala, definitely try this jackfruit recipe version out.
The dish cooks up super quick with much less effort than you need to make a traditional chicken tikka masala, and I think you will be very happy with this meatless version. Cook it up and try it out on your friends and family–don’t tell them it’s jackfruit!–tell them it’s chicken tikka masala and see if they notice the difference.
For more easy Indian recipe ideas, check out my Indian Recipes Playlist.
Thanks for checking the jackfruit recipe out, if you like it, then click a button or two below and share the dish with your friends, I appreciate it.