An egg bake recipe is one of the easiest and least expensive meals to prepare, and an Italian egg bake is one of the tastiest. I’ll often clean out the fridge and use odds and ends to make a random egg casserole recipe, but an egg bake doesn’t always have to be a random mishmash of ingredients. If I have fresh spinach and sun dried tomato on hand, then an Italian Egg Bake is a cinch to make, it’s almost like a lasagna, but a whole lot easier and less expensive to prepare. An egg bake is also a super convenient way to feed a family or gathering, and a casserole travels very well, so it’s a perfect recipe for a potluck or dinner party or any gathering where you need to bring a dish.
What You Need to Make an Italian Egg Bake
(ideal ingredients for a 1½ quart baking dish)
8-10 oz SPINACH
1 med ONION (chopped)
SUN DRIED TOMATOES (chopped) …smoked sun dried tomatoes are my favorite!
6-10 cloves GARLIC (minced)
½ tsp dried ITALIAN SEASONING
1 cup shredded PARMESAN
or ROMANO CHEESE
½ cup MILK or YOGURT
SALT and PEPPER and
seasonings to taste, like:
…add others, or leave some of
OIL for sauteing
How to Make an Italian Egg Bake
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs, add milk and dried Italian seasonings, and whisk well. Set bowl aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Into the skillet add the onion, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes and saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the seasoning and continue sauteing 3-4 minutes.
- Add in spinach. Stir until spinach wilts and cooks down, which will happen quickly.
- Lightly spray a 1½ quart baking dish and line the bottom with freshly shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese.
You don’t need a lot of cheese, line the bottom of the dish and whatever is left reserve to melt on top of the dish later.
- Remove the sauteed skillet ingredients and spread them evenly over the cheese layer.
- Gently pour over the whisked egg and milk.
- Slide the baking dish into an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake about 20 minutes or until the egg is firm.
- Remove from the oven. If desired, top with more shredded cheese and return dish to the oven for about 5 more minutes.
And that’s all there is to this egg casserole.
An Italian egg bake tastes great right out of the oven, but will taste even better the next day.
Serve hot or cold. I actually prefer it cold or at room temperature, so this egg bake recipe makes a great snack, or perfect breakfast, lunch, or dinner; or even brunch, if you’re one of those kinda people.
And that’s it! Give this easy Italian Egg Bake Recipe a try and let us know what you think. And for another breakfast or brunch recipe idea, check out this Fancy Baked Eggs Recipe.
Thanks for checking the egg bake recipe out. If you like what you see, click a button or two below and share the recipe with your friends and family. I appreciate it!