Chole masala is an Indian chickpea curry recipe. For this simple chole recipe, I’m using the fewest ingredients I can. I do add Garam masala and cilantro to this version of chickpea curry; for a super simple version of chole masala, these two ingredients can be optional, but certainly use them if you have them on hand. I’m leaving out the asoefetida and besan (chickpea flour), and also the onion, which I will often cook into a chana masala. Chickpea curry is a delicious Indian staple, and a great introduction to Indian cooking.
what you need to make Chole Masala
1 15oz can CHICKPEAS
1 15oz can DICED TOMATO
3-5 cloves GARLIC finely chopped
½ tsp CUMIN SEEDS
1 tsp CUMIN POWDER
½ tsp TURMERIC POWDER
1 tsp CORIANDER POWDER
1 tsp CHILI POWDER
SALT and PEPPER (to taste)
½ tsp GARAM MASALA (optional)
fresh chopped CILANTRO (optional)
OIL for sauteing
how to make Chole Masala
- In a skillet, heat oil on medium high heat.
- When the oil is heated, add the cumin seeds, stir and allow to simmer for about 20 seconds.
- Once the seeds begin to crack, add the finely chopped garlic.
- Stir for approx. 1 minute and then add the diced tomatoes. Mix well and allow the tomatoes to bubble.
As the tomatoes cook down, you can crush them with your stirrer for a smoother chana massala.
- Stir in the chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and cumin powders (or substitute a premade curry mix instead).
- Mix in the chickpeas and add ½ can of water.
- Bring the dish to a bubble, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and allow cooking for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the chick peas will be soft. Use a fork or potato masher to smash some of the chick peas, this will help thicken the chana masala.
- If desired, add garam masala and then simmer uncovered to the desired consistency, remove and serve.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve with rice or on its own.
Give this easy chole masala recipe a try and let me know what you think, and bon appétit!
And for more easy Indian recipe ideas, check out my Indian Recipes Playlist.
Thanks for checking the chole masala recipe out, if you like it, then click a button or two below and share the dish with your friends, I appreciate it.