A cauliflower potato salad recipe is a great substitute for classic potato salad. This fake “potato” salad is a light, low calorie, low carb recipe that tastes great and is just as easy to make as potato salad. In fact, a creamy cauliflower salad is easier to make, since steaming cauliflower takes less time than cooking potatoes. And you won’t miss the potato at all, trust me.
What You Need To Make Cauliflower Potato Salad
2 lbs CAULIFLOWER florets
1 cup chopped RED BELL PEPPER
2 stalks chopped CELERY
½ cup chopped PARSLEY
chopped whites of 4-6 BOILED EGGS
Cauliflower Potato Salad Dressing:
4-6 EGG YOLKS
½ cup MAYONNAISE
2 Tbsp CREAMY HORSERADISH (or 3 Tbsp?…it’s good in this dish)
1 Tbsp fancy MUSTARD
1-2 Tbsp of PICKLE RELISH
(a splash or two of pickle juice is a good idea, too, or if you don’t have pickle relish, add 1-2 Tbsp of vinegar)
SALT and PEPPER (to taste)
How to Make Fake Potato Salad with Cauliflower
- Break the cauliflower into florets and chop the stems into smaller pieces.
- Steam the cauliflower for 5-8 minutes, but don’t over-steam or the cauliflower will become mushy
when mixed with the other ingredients; of course, if you prefer smooth potato salad over chunky potato salad,
then you might like the cauliflower over-steamed; just follow your heart.
- Once cauliflower is steamed, set it aside to cool a bit.
- While the cauliflower cools, make the dressing.
- Remove the yolks from your boiled eggs and place the yolks into a small bowl.
- To the yolks, add the horseradish, mayonnaise, mustard, pickle relish (or substitute vinegar), salt and pepper, and mix until smooth.
- Into a larger bowl, add the steamed cauliflower, bell pepper, celery, parsley, and chopped egg whites.
- Add in the dressing and toss until well incorporated.
- It tastes great right away while it’s warm, and it will taste great later after it has been refrigerated, and if you have leftovers, it will taste even more fantastic the next day.
And that’s it.
I love the taste of cauliflower potato salad just as much as classic potato salad, probably even more now that my metabolism is slowing down and I’m counting my carbs a little more. Cauliflower is a great ingredient for low carb recipes, so definitely try substituting cauliflower for other recipes as well.
For another cauliflower recipe idea, try a Cauliflower Crust Pizza.
Give this cauliflower potato salad recipe a try and let me know what you think. If you liked the recipe, click a few buttons below to share it with your friends. Thanks, I appreciate it!