This cauliflower gratin recipe is a tasty way to add cauliflower to your diet. It’s not the healthiest cauliflower recipe but it’s probably healthier than cauliflower ice cream, if there is such a thing.
This French inspired cauliflower gratin recipe is basically a veggie cheese casserole. I like to put creamy horseradish sauce in mine, and you should definitely give that a try. I also like to add a few other veggies, just for color. I use red bell pepper, celery, and green onion in the video, but use whatever vegetables have in the fridge to add a bit of color; using just a little shredded carrot will add some pizzazz.
What You Need To Make a Cauliflower Gratin
2 lbs CAULIFLOWER florets
1 cup chopped veggies …like:
….but use whatever you have
2 cups whole MILK (or half and half)
5 Tbsp BUTTER
5 Tbsp FLOUR
1-2 cups freshly grated CHEESE
(I like using a combo of cheeses, some of my faves are
swiss, parmesan, gruyere, gouda, and havarti)
1 Tbsp CREAMY HORSERADISH (or 2 Tbsp?…it’s good in this dish)
1 Tbsp fancy MUSTARD
2 tsp ITALIAN SEASONING
SALT and PEPPER (to taste)
How to Cook Cauliflower Gratin
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- I like to steam the florets for 2-3 minutes, this will make the cauliflower gratin creamier. Use a steaming basket, or just place half an inch of water in a pan, cover, and steam that way for a few minutes. If you prefer your cauliflower a little firmer in your gratin,
you can skip the steaming.
- Lightly butter an oven safe baking dish.
- Arrange the cauliflower florets on the bottom.
- Add about 1 cup of assorted, chopped veggies on top, for color and added texture.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter.
- On medium heat, add in the flour with the butter and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add in half the milk (or Half and Half), and continue stirring.
- As the mixture thickens, add in the rest of the milk and whisk smooth.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste, and dried Italian seasoning.
- Add in half of the freshly grated cheese, stir until melted, and remove from the heat.
- Evenly pour the creamy, cheesy mixture over the top of the cauliflower/veggie mix.
- Top the gratin with the remainder of the cheese (although you can reserve a bit of cheese for topping at the end, if desired)
- Bake 25-35 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the cauliflower gratin begins to color nicely on top, it’s ready.
- Garnish with extra cheese or fresh herbs.
And that’s it.
And for another cauliflower recipe idea, try a Cauliflower Crust Pizza.
Definitely give this cauliflower gratin recipe a try and let me know what you think. If you liked the recipe, click a few buttons below to share it with your friends. Thanks, I appreciate it!